Nipper Registration Instructions
2017/18 registrations are now open and you’re invited to apply to join our club as we kick off another Nipper season. There are some important changes to our program and the requirements surrounding them which we will communicate through the lead up to the season.
The “signup” process is a considerable burden on both the club and our members, we apologise and ask that you are thorough and methodical when applying.
1. Obtain your Working With Children Check
All members over 18 MUST hold a WWCC, in addition we require that (at least) one parent of each nipper provide these details to Warrnambool SLSC. Many people already hold a WWCC with another organisation. If this is the case you must update your WWCC to include both Life Saving Victoria and Warrnambool SLSC.
If you do not hold a WWCC you must apply for one.
Details on this simple process are explained here: Warrnambool SLSC WWCC
2. Complete Preliminary Skills Evaluation
If you are currently having swimming lessons you can print our Swim Evaluation Form (on the right) and have your swim coach, teacher or a qualified pool lifeguard sign it off.
We will be holding 2 Club Swim evaluations on the 19th and 26th of November: Details to be announced on our website / TeamApp / Facebook These are also the opportunity to find out more about our WSLSC Nipper Program. Ask Age managers, Club officals and other Nipper parents!
3. Agree to abide by the Warrnambool SLSC Code of Conduct
We promote building our Nipper’s skills to give them confidence and proficiency to enjoy the beach.
We provide an environment for both competition and confidence building activities.
We suggest you read the below Code of Conduct with your nipper (although we’ll make sure WE do as well)
As a Warrnambool SLSC Nipper I:
- Participate in Nippers because I enjoy the sport
- Always follow the rules and respect the ocean and conditions
- Am a good sport and control my temper, congratulating all who strive for their best
- Respect the official’s decisions
- Treat other competitors as I would like to be treated
- Aim to have fun and improve my ability
- Listen to my Age Manager, coach, water safety, team and my nipper mates and act on their advice
- Respect the equipment, wash it and return after use. Report any damage
- Understand and appreciate that everyone in the club gives up their own time to help me be the best Junior Life Saver I can be
Parent and Carer Code
As a Warrnambool SLSC Nipper Parent or Carer I commit to:
- Not making an unwilling child participate in a sport
- Understanding that my nipper is involved in sport for their enjoyment, not mine
- Encourage my Nipper to play by the rules
- Encourage that the effort is as important as the result
- Work towards improving skills and sportsmanship
- Recognise and encourage good play or efforts
- Do not publicly question an official’s decision
- Recognise and respect the efforts of volunteers (ALL our helpers are volunteers)
4. Pay for Club Membership and Nipper Program
The Nipper Membership is essentially the family membership which covers all adults and children still at school (including tertiary) for $150 or pay individually. Prices have remained the same as last year.
This cost includes the first Nipper Beach Program fee for one Nipper. For each additional nipper you are registering there is an additional $55 to cover the season’s Beach Program.
We ask that you pay via this website as paying via the LSV option creates a tremendous administrative burden on the club. Direct Credit or credit card payment via PayPal is accepted. The payment link is at the bottom of this page or below, but please return here to complete the following steps!
5. LSV Registration
You are required to register separately with Surf Life Saving Australia and renew that registration each year. This can be done individually or by creating a family on the SLSA website. Details are provided via the following link but also the SLSA website has good information on how to proceed.
We’ve also created a “How to register” leaflet for new members: How to Join as a new member
You will see a “Make a Payment” link during this process, please ignore it. We ask that you pay via our website as paying via the SLSA option creates a tremendous administrative burden on the club. Direct Credit or credit card payment via PayPal is accepted from our website. That link is further down this page!
If you’ve completed the questionnaire and know how much you need to pay you CAN pay via this SLSA step, but please identify the payment.
6. Attend Parent Information Briefing
It is compulsory for at least one parent of each nipper to attend one of our information sessions. It is also a requirement that (at least) one parent (with WWCC) make themselves available on a roster to help provide the Nipper program to our children. This commitment will be gained at the information session but consideration can be made by viewing the “How can I Help?” page
7. Install Team App
TeamApp is our primary source of club communication and record of upcoming events. If it’s not on your phone you’re missing out!
In either Apple App Store or Google Play store find and install the program Team App then look for the “team” WSLSC You can also access the details via their website at www.teamapp.com. More details here: Club Communications
Ready to Sign up?